Pages

Sunday 2 June 2013

The Local - dining with friends.

As with life back home, I often ask this one question several times a day to my colleagues at work, to Ben, to my friends - "Where shall we go, for lunch/dinner/fill in _____blanks". 

"Anything", was the popular choice.




This Saturday, my friends and myself made an impromptu decision to head out for dinner together.

Mew had chanced upon a few places to check out, near Sukhumvit area, from her Hong Kong little travel booklet which she took out from a magazine. Sounds a lot like the ones 8 Days, a lifestyle magazine back home is always distributing.

We all settled for "The Local". 

It wasn't far from that far from the MRT Station, just walk down all the way till you reaches the SOI Sukhumvit 23, and continue walking down the street all the way till you see the above signage.




Meet Jane, one of my Thai Local friend, whom I'm always conversing with, in Thai, and that helps me alot with practicing the pronounciation, holding a conversation, etc. Not that I'm not good at it, but sometimes, my accent is really kinda strong, and I do still use the wrong way to form a proper sentence.

On the other hand, She's really a great, kind hearted girl, and we count on her to help us order exotic thai food beyond Tom Yum and Som Tum. HAHA!

When Mew mentioned about this place, the type of place we had in mind, was like trying out some local restaurant called "The Local", like some coffeehouse or cafe of that sort.




I truly wasn't expecting really classy level of dining. The whole place has that Flutes at the Ford feel, which is a fine dining place in Singapore near City Hall. The restaurant itself is housed on a 70year old, really old traditional building. Somewhat like Jim Thompson's Museum, but fitted with air conditioning, and the place is really, really romantic at night.

Most of us was in shorts, but luckily they let us in (maybe cause we are like tourists), without reservations and proper attire. There were guests there all dressed up for the evening, I felt slightly bad for wearing jeans. HAHA!




Table mats and settings - I have a thing for table mats. I'm always on the lookout for something nice so that I can incorporate that into my pastries modeling.




Shanna, Doink, Framm and Mew - just to name a few of my buddies in and out of school!




Remember when I was saying that Jane was in charge of introducing something new for dinner/lunch? She did a great job! The above photo is actually a appetiser set for two; there's like a rose petal salad consisting of lime, garlic, onion, shrimps. Then, there's the rice noodles with coconut cream and fried onions, rice crackers with minced pork toppings, pandan leave chicken and yellow noodles in gravy - all of which had me on cloud nine, and almost close to tears.

It. Was. That. Good. 

The Local serves up the Thai, very traditional style type of cuisine, as explained by Jane and the website, which you can click right from the beginning of my post. So whatever we ordered, is actually a great touch back into the past. I'm so happy to have this experience with my friends, enjoying each and every bite. Each dish has its own distinctive flavour and being a starter, everything was just nice!

It's beautiful food, I tell ya!




Next up, we have this coconut cream broth with chicken (I'm sorry, I don't have the exact name for all the dishes because I didn't do the ordering), but it was creamy, savory and slightly spicy. It was like drinking a creamed version of Tom Yum Gai...imagine cream of chicken but with the slight tangy punch of tom yum.

Needless to say, we were all busy appreciating every mouthful our little soup bowls can hold.




Then, there's the fried fish, which is served, with the meat already fillet and in individual pieces. It's with a slightly spicy sauce, and boy. What do you look for in a fried fish dish?

No bones? Crispy? Tender and fresh fish meat? Look no more people, this is it. Really! This really, is it! I cannot express how much we all love this fish, except for "DAMN NICE!!".




Then, there's this spicy crab meat and prawn chili mixture, served with a basketful of fresh greens; greens which we all had fun tasting. Because there's a handful of them, that we have never ever tried before. It's so deli sh and goes really well with the chili mixture.

This, is the bomb. It's got this flavour I can't describe; because it's my first time trying out this dish and it goes oh, so well. SO WELL with rice.

& then, you know sometimes when you're on cloud 9, and the dishes after dishes comes after, and you can't seemed to put down your fork and spoon to take a picture, but instead just kept eating and eating?

You'll get to the point where there's only about half of the food which you've had for dinner, in your camera. This is my point - no more pictures to share because I was too engrossed in eating. =D




Ending off with a picture of us playing a fool at the 'museum' part of the house...fooling around with the props they have - Framm looks like a real farmer, aren't she? I really want to buy those wintermelons she has in her tray. HAHA!

Oh, by the way, I spent about 600 plus baht for this meal, it's a little pricey for this place, but for the experience and the great quality of the food; it's more than worth it, I promise! 

Till then!

THE LOCAL 
32-32/1 Sukumvit 23, Klong Toey Nue,
Wattana, Bangkok, Thailand 10110
+66 (0)2 664 0664
+66 (0)2 664 0665
BTS: Asoke
MRT: Sukhumvit

No comments:

Post a Comment