Pages

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Baking - Feuille D'automne

Happy Tuesday!

I woke up this morning feeling extremely excited because I get to do some chocolate works today during practical! =)

Yesterday, we had Chef Willy instead of Chef Marc, who was away on a long weekend break. It was a refreshing change because I missed the rose petal table top. HAHA! Anyway! Chef Willy did his usual lame jokes coupled with seriousness demonstration for two cakes, Feuille D'automne and Tarte Chocolate Aux Framboises. 




The Feuille d'automne a.k.a Autumn Leaf is an entremet with french meringue layers and covered completely, with chocolate mousse, before being decorated with a strip of chocolate and topped with pieces and pieces of chocolate fans, creating a nice huge bouquet of 'leafs'/flower.





Chef Willy finished the cakes in two different ways; one with snow icing sugar, and the other with red chocolate spray, resulting in a winter, and autumn feel. More on this cake below, because I get to do it! *Happy singing voice*




Tarte Chocolat aux framboises is, I'm sure you guys know by now, Chocolate & raspberry tart. Ta-dah!!

It is a entremet with sable dough base, flourless chocolate biscuit layer, raspberry ganache filling and topped with molecular biscuit (The pink pieces), cocoa streusel and yogurt ice cream with lollipop coating.

Well, what can I say!

This cake is really different, in fact, it looked like a garden, complete with fruits and soil looking streusel and specks of gold, yep! Only in Chef Willy's garden, can you find pink cotton plants and gold particles. HAHA!

Proud to present to you, my beautiful Feuille D'automne!




Which, unfortunately, looked nothing like Autumn leaves, but rather, more like an elaborate bouquet of a single stalk rose. Despite using the flexible knife, my fans somehow doesn't seemed to be pointy as it should be.

Chef advised that I can try to start from the left hand side of the chocolate tray in the future to see if that works, but other that that, my arrangement of the fans is good, and the size of each fan is equal! =)

I am quite happy lah, that I'm able to do such a beautiful piece of chocolate work. Sometimes I can't help but feel happy and lucky that I get a chance to come and learn these precious skills! Shall work harder to improve my set of chocolate decoration skills to do more beautiful works!




First, we made the french meringues layers/discs in our previous last practical, so all that's left to do, is to do the chocolate mousse and the chocolate decoration; today was a relatively wonderful, no stress, no panic day!

Then, we had to spread one strip of chocolate to cover the sides of the mousse. This was where Mew and myself got ourselves in a fix! We initially just measured the cake board size and cut the plastic strip according to end touching end, but who knows when we wrap the cake with that strip, it fell short by just a little bit!




Both of us stared at each other in pure panic (Wished there was a panic room then) and then an idea struck us both, we decided to cut another small strip to place into the hole, and quickly spread the left over tempered chocolate on our table before it sets.

My Chocolate strip was just of the right size, but during the peeling of the plastic strips' stage, the single piece of chocolate snapped. So, my cake got this ugly strip. =( Chef however, thought that we broke it while we were peeling the entire strip of the chocolate and told us to be careful while peeling.

HAHA! I guess that means we managed to 'fix' the situation to our advantage! =)




Alright, ending this post off with another pretty look at my 'Autumn Leaf', though I would prefer us being able to spray with red spray, instead of just plain old snow icing, making it looked more like winter. Heehee!

2 more days before the hubby's here! I am so excited! =)

Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment