Pages

Saturday 7 September 2013

Baking - Trésor Vanille-Framboise

YAY!

Less than 3 weeks to go!! *wriggles eyebrows*

Just want to update on the previous last practical I've done on Thursday!

Chef Marc did a demonstration on two entremets, one of which, is our exams cake - Trésor Vanille-Framboise & Jamaïque, an exotic cake. 




The Trésor Vanille-Framboise is a entremet piped around the ring with almond dacquoise batter and icing sugar, before being assembled with a chiboust vanilla cream dome with a raspberry mousse insert, which has been caramelised and glazed on the top.

Fresh fruits like strawberries and raspberry is then decorated around with snow icing sugar.

More details at the end, because I get to do this in the practical. =)




Next, we have the Jamaïque, another exotic cake consisting of a jonconde biscuit sponge base, layer and sides with poached pineapple, coconut mousse filings and finally topped with a Mango passion fruit mousse.

The assembly of this cake is exactly the same as my Passionata, just slightly different flavors and the sponge is decorated with different nuts instead of the coloured cigarette batter.  Chef Marc also changed the decorating look, by replacing the passion fruit seeds with cocoa powder instead.

& Here's my very own Trésor Vanille-Framboise




Beautiful, isn't it?

First, we have to pipe the almond dacquoise in anti clockwise direction around the entremet ring using a tip #12, in the shape of large teardrops and a spiral design in the middle as the base. The dacquoise is then sprinkled with icing sugar and let bake in the oven for 12 - 17 minutes.

The key to a good dacquoise is not to over mix it during the folding in stage and also, be careful not to use snow icing instead of icing sugar, otherwise, it will collapse and you will not have your beautiful base after unmolding.

Chef G said that my piping is consistent, which is very good, though my 'tear drops' can be slightly bigger - I didn't pipe it too big because I was afraid that I would run out of the batter midway through. The batter is shared between Mew and myself, and nothing makes me scared than having big drops around and one or two smaller than usual drops at the end.

I get really upset if that happens. It's like a roller coaster coming down at a full speed and crashing down after.




Here, you get a better view of the 'tear drops' I've mentioned. Actually, it looks more like waves.

So, for assembly, we spread the chiboust vanilla cream in a dome and create another raspberry mousse insert using flexi mold. The disc of raspberry mousse is then inserted into the dome and covered with slightly more vanilla cream to give it a nice round appearance, before being chilled further to ensure that everything else is frozen together.

Next, we have to caramelise the top of the vanilla dome using sugar and a blow torch - something like when you caramelise the top of a crème brûlée.  It was much fun on my part to do that, and I was careful not to heat it up too much to prevent my dome from melting.

Chef also said that the caramelising is good, though it can be slightly more around (instead of following Chef Marc's, which is only on the top).




Check out the lovely layers! There is frozen raspberry bits in the mousse, and that's why it's called Trésor (Treasure). I've got to admit that the flavours of the vanilla cream and raspberry mousse went really well together this time.

The decor is also lovely, with just a thin layer of neutral glaze and topped with fresh fruits like raspberry and strawberries, adding a flair of red. I don't understand why our class is always the only class having lesser fruits than required as compared to other class. We always get only 5pieces per fruits (for e.g.) if it's supposed to be either 5-6 pieces, while the other classes get the maximum pieces of fruits. Blah.




Ending off this post with a lovely shot of my pretty Trésor! I shall resume to my books and study my notes for the upcoming exams (Written and practical) while enjoying a slice of my cake along with a cup of hot chocolate (just bought a tin of Cadbury Hot Chocolate! =))!

In the meanwhile, have a great weekend ahead, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment