Pages

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Baking - Soufflé glacé au grand marnier

Tuesday oh Tuesday.

It was just yesterday that my sweetheart has returned home, and I'm back to my old routine - classes on Tuesday mornings and let the week begin!

Today, we have a few recipes to go through, most of which, is ice cream based.

Chef Marc demonstrated on how to make our own ice cream (with a machine of course) and did the demonstration for Vacherin; a meringue crust filled with chantilly cream and fresh fruits, Poire belle Hélène ; a dessert consisting of poached pears in syrup served with vanilla ice cream, omelette à la norvégienne a.k.a Baked Alaska; a dessert with a sponge based bottom, ice cream layers and a meringue top.

Sadly, due to the nature of the desserts, we didn't have the luxury of taking photos of the desserts like we used to. Hence I don't have any decent pictures at all to show the various desserts being on show that day.

However, during practical, we made Soufflé glacé au grand marnier!




The soufflé glacé au grand marnier consists of 3 components; the soufflé itself, the cigarette biscuits and segmented oranges for decoration.

This souffle does not required to be baked, it is only blast freeze for an hour or so, and can be served right away. We made the batter for the cigarettes and had to roll them fast once they are out from the oven; resulting with burnt fingers. The segmented oranges was easy to prepare, as we did that once previously for the fruit tart.

Unlike previous classes, we had the chance and time to taste this dessert right on the spot because it's a cold, frozen dessert. Besides this ramekin sized, we were also given 4 other smaller tin container to bring home; I gave those to my estate people.

I had fun plating my dessert; I even had Ben specially brought over books related to plating desserts from Singapore on his recent trip so that I can read up.

What do you think of my first time plated dessert? Would you want to have it?

Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment