Pages

Thursday 29 August 2013

Baking - Coco Rouge

Hello peeps!!! 

Just popping by to update on my Wednesday's practical, before heading to bed! Please note that sometimes, this sotong over here forgets to charge the camera's battery, resulting in poor quality photos taken by her Iphone!

*Yes, Iphone, you sucks at times okay!*

This post is that 'sometime', and I do regret it, because the photos doesn't do much justice to the deep lipstick red mousse domes!

Anyway!

For Wednesday, Chef Marc did the demonstration for Coco Rouge and Écossais




Coco Rouge a.k.a Red Coco, is one of the entremets for the final exam.

It consists of a croustillant praliné coconut (feuilletine) base, with a baked coconut cream and a strawberry coulis insert, before being covered all around with coconut mousse and then glazed with a white glaze. The entremet is then decorated with grated toasted coconut shredding and mousse domes.

What can I say about the taste - it's very rich in coconut flavour! 

I sprayed these babies on my own during practical! Damn proud, up to the moment when I realize that I have these little red stains on my uniform. =(




Next,  we have the Écossais a.k.a Scottish.

It is a type of travelling cake, made with a chocolate dacquoise batter and a vanilla cream mixture, piped on a bûche mold, which is buttered and sprinkled with chopped almonds. Here, Chef Marc finishes with mirror chocolate glaze and covered the sides with feuilletine, as well as with some chocolate fan decorations.

I find this cake familiar, something like the Bûche Pistache-Chocolat that I did during my last practical during Basic Term. 

Without much further ado, presenting to you, my Coco Rouge!  




This practical was a tough one, but thank goodness I have a great partner in Mew! We're like the A Team, if I have not said this before! When there's a difficult cake with so many components, the last thing you want to end up with, is to have a partner who doesn't work together well.

Mew and myself took care of different things, and when we are ready to assembly, everything is exactly where it has to be, needed to be, at the right consistency.




Unfortunately, the glaze was the only issue lacking. It was setting a little too fast (means it hardens rapidly) by the time I was done, and Mew was glazing her cake.

We didn't take into consideration that even though the glaze was at the right temperature, the consistency wasn't; it was not liquid enough to provide the cake with a good coverage, instead, you'll get lumps when you pour the glaze over your chilled mousse cake.

But other than that, everything was fine...our chocolate tempering was good, though the sticks can be straighter, and our domes was really nice!




My Coco Rouge, however, didn't survive the journey home, and the sides split from the main body, exposing the layers between the mousse, baked coconut cream, strawberry coulis and the base.

It was like a beautiful woman shedding off her clothes to reveal the raw scars of surgery that she has been through. Sick, I know. So I had no choice but to throw the entire cake and its scattered contents away this morning.

Alright, that's all I have tonight!

Remember to check back tomorrow because I have some chocolate bon bon to share!!! =) Pretty excited about it because it's gorgeous yo!

Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment