Pages

Tuesday 27 August 2013

Baking - Ebony

Happy Tuesday guys! 

I'm actually really excited for two reasons. One, my chocolate tempering this time during my practical class was a success, and two - this time next month, I'll be back home in Singapore! =)

Truth to be told, I really miss home a lot.

I miss hanging out with my brothers for lunch or dinner, and just hearing my youngest brother, Benjamin tease Andy (my little brother) on his weight and just about anything. I miss hanging out with my friends, having tea, Kbox sessions, shopping, movies etc.

I miss meeting my mum and dad for dinner or occasional shopping trips around Singapore's endless' malls. I miss seeing mum, I can't wait till my home is ready and we'll be living together under one roof! =)

I miss hanging out with my in-laws, having dinner and just talking about just about anything. Usually I don't have much to say because I like listening to my parents-in-law talk, they are completely different from my own parents. They are very cute, and special in their own ways. And yes, though chances are, my plate will be stuffed full with food, I still like joining them for dinner.

I also miss the safe and secure feeling my country has offered me. 

Most of all, I miss my dearest hubby, who has been nothing short of wonderful and supportive during this period of time. On certain days when I am feeling down, or tired, he will always get me up on my feet, smiling again in no time even when he is thousands of miles away. He's my pillar of support, my absolute sturdy rock and I couldn't be happier! =)

Okay, mushy stuff aside, I just wanna touch on what have been going on during Intermediate class yesterday and today!

Chef Marc did the demonstration on Ebony and Tarte Chocolat à la banane!




For some (wrong) reason, a few of my guy friends in school started giggling at the mention of the word "Ebony" - go figure.

If you've noticed, most of the entremets I've introduced so far, often consists of something light (mousse), something soft (sponge), something crispy (feuilletine) and something solid (Chocolate decoration/fruits etc). This is the current trend in the patisserie world, this is what customers are demanding to have. 

Ebony is no exception. It consists of a nice hazelnut dacquoise biscuit as the base, a layer of feuilletine combined with crispy rice in the middle, piped with white chocolate chantilly cream and topped with two layers of the chocolate squares.

A simple entremet to make, provided you've got the Chantilly cream texture right (firm) and the chocolate tempering done right so that you'll get a pretty square for decorating. One thing about this cake, is that the Chantilly cream doesn't keep well, it melts after a few hours, so either prepare this entremet fresh, or make sure you have lots of ice packs.




Next up is the Tarte Chocolat à la banane a.k.a Chocolate Banana Tart.


I love bananas, and I welcome all sorts of banana related dessert. In fact, I'll head home once I'm done with my course and try to invent a banana related dessert that I can have it available for sale!

Meanwhile, I'll just be contented to savour any occasional banana pastry the school has decided to introduce. Like, this tart; a sweet pastry dough base with a flourless chocolate biscuit, spread with a layer of flambé bananas and finally topped with chocolate banana mousse.

Here, Chef Marc decorated the tart with raspberries, because it was in the syllabus, but he mentioned that if it was up to him, he will make small nice chocolate truffles instead to decorate the tart with, as that will be an insight of what the flavours of this entremet really consists of. 

Presenting to you, my Ebony!




Today, Mew didn't attend school because she had morning sinus and so I did the recipe for one; which unfortunately, I needed to beat the meringue required to make the dacquoise, by hand.

Thank goodness, it wasn't a busy day, so it was quite mangeable, otherwise, I will be running behind time and panicking to finish.

We went about tempering the chocolate first, and for some reason, I decided to conquer my fear and temper the chocolate the same way as previously. I ensure that I mixed really well, watch each step that I carried out carefully, and allow my chocolate to sort of cooled down a little. It was already at 31℃ after tempering, but I left it as that before using right away and cleaned up my station.

That little time spent allowed my chocolate to maintain at the 31℃ for like 1-2 minutes, and when I spread it on the plastic sheet for the decoration, it began to set faster as compared to the previous time.

Happy bee is me!




Then I did the sponge, and the feuilletine mix before whipping the Chantilly Cream.

Chef Aum was mighty pleased with my work today! He was checking my cake around, left right center and commented that the chocolate tempering is very well done, the piping is good and everything is a very good job done!

I'm pleased with myself too!




I mean, look at the piping! It's all even, and there's only 6 piped balls per sides, just like Chef Marc's. My biscuit base was not liquid when I piped it, which goes to show that during folding in, I didn't overmix it. I was really very organised together, and I even had time to do the chocolate writing practice just like everyone else! Majorly proud of myself! WAHAHAH!

Then, I went home, and went out again to meet Framm and Mew for a celebration dinner! It was Framm's birthday, and I dedicate this cake to her as her birthday cake! HAHA!




We went to a seafood restaurant for dinner which serves just about the same food fare as T&K restaurant. Then, we went to the cafe right in front of the restaurant for cakes and coffee. Just chilling and talking about pastries and made silly jokes regarding pastries.




That's all I have to share! Got to rest early tonight because of tomorrow's morning class and after that, I have practical! Basically, it's a really long day.

Till next time!

P.S
Happy birthday Framm! It's a joy to have known you from this course, keep your passion for baking alive, and I wish you all the best! Jiayou! =)

2 comments:

  1. what a nice blog, i love here,hahahaaa!!

    thank u so much CHRIS! :))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Framm!

    Thanks for dropping by! Happy birthday once again! ;)

    ReplyDelete