Pages

Wednesday 30 October 2013

Baking - Lemon & Wild-Fruits Eskimo

Blah. 

I woke up this morning feeling like crap.

Actually, I very much believed that I sleep-walked to school today. It was the time of the month, I felt so sick and unwell, but hey! I've never missed a single day of class, and I am not going to break my crystal clear record today!

So off to school I went.

Yesterday's demonstration was all about modern creations. Chef Fabrice showed us two different entremets, Lemon & Wild-Fruits Eskimo and Crispy Pistachio Sphere Apricot & Passion Fruit.




First up, the lemon & wild-fruit Eskimo is an entremet that looks like an ice-cream pop.

It has got a sweet pastry bottom, a hazelnut cream layer, raspberry jam and the 'ice cream' pop is actually lemon mousse with a wild fruit coulis jelly in the center and, filled in a cylinder mold with the dimensions of 8cm X 3cm.

The Eskimos gets the shiny white look from using a white glaze, which includes ingredients like cream, milk and titanium dioxide.




During the demo, Chef Fabrice has a fair bit of extra time, and he showed us a snippet at what it would be like, doing sugar works. He was working with the sugar art recipe, folding hot sugar repeatedly, and did a few swirls and hoops like the above.

The colored hoops was made using white and blue sugars, and putting them together like how the peeps at Sticky, a Singapore local store which sells handmade candies pull and design their candies. It was quite intriguing, and I am looking forward to trying my hands at pulling sugar.




Chef decorated his Eskimos with squares and long chocolate rectangles, raspberries and gold leaves, as usual. He gave us the free rein to do either outlook for the Eskimos, either having them assembled horizontal or vertically. I chose to do them horizontally.

More on this later.




Next, we have the Crispy Pistachio Sphere Apricot and Passion Fruit, which is a pink white chocolate sphere filled with lime mousse and with a apricot passion fruit jelly center.

It's assembled on a 'crown' made from baked left over sweet pastry filled with raspberry jam and sprayed with pink chocolate spray; making the appearance looked more like a hot pink ball.

Mew commented that it looked like a Pokemon Ball, which was used by Ash and his pokemon friends to catch wild pokemons in the cartoon. I thought it looked more like a golf ball, and when Chef cut the sphere to reveal the inside outlook of the sphere, the whole class agrees that it looked much like a salted egg. HAHA!

Presenting to you, my lemon & wild fruits Eskimo!




We needed to only present 3 pieces, so I decorated only these 3.

Today's practical was quite straight forward, and instead of working in teams of two, we worked in teams of 6/5 today due to the fact that the recipes is quite simple and needed a longer freezing time (which means lots of spare time), plus, we didn't need to do the white glaze because there was so much of the left overs from the previous class yesterday.

So lesser components to prepare = more time to do other things.




More time  = more time can be spend focusing solely on assembling.

I had a design in mind yesterday during class, I wanted to present like, 3 'diamonds' on top of the Eskimo in a orderly manner, but the top surface area was not wide enough to accommodate all 3 chocolate squares. So, the second best option was to place the 'diamonds' all over, creating a mess. In a beautiful way.

What do you think of it? 




We were given only 1 raspberry and I had the idea of putting it right in the centre to be the 'jewel', with chocolate shards around to further enhance the white and dark colour contrast between the white glaze and the dark chocolate, and at the same time, have a nice pop of colour.

It's always hard to work with fruits; I'm always having a little struggle with decorating because, with decorating; it's either too much, too empty, somethings missing or too little.




Last but not least, I decorated my Eskimo with the chocolate rectangles, which is a reference to what chef has presented during demonstration.

Cascading long chocolate planks covered the Eskimo. I love the transfer sheets! It totally ups the style factor for an entremet.

I went to a bakery supplies store in the afternoon with my friends, and managed to get my hands on some beautiful Christmas themed transfer sheets! Can't wait to get back home and see what I can do with the designs! =D 




A layered view of the Eskimo. The center is small, piped into small bubble tea straws' dimensions before being blast freeze and slotted during the assembly of the mousse. 




Alright!

That's all that I have to share for today! If I'm not wrong, classic chocolate eclairs is coming up soon, as well as heart shaped macaroons! Well, with me being in Superior level now, I'm guessing the outlook for the eclairs is anything but chocolate fondant glaze on the top. =P

Till then!



No comments:

Post a Comment