Pages

Tuesday 26 November 2013

Baking - Shot Glasses & Molecular Snicker plated dessert

Hello guys!!!

So sorry for the lack of updates recently! I know, I've been like 3 weeks late with my updates and all, plus it's only less than a month till I fly back home for good!!

There's so much going in the recent weeks of school, but yet, if I run it through, you'll feel like there's nothing much!

First up! Allow me to cover the practicals and happenings from 6 Nov - 9 Nov'13!

Basically, we had demonstrations on shot glasses and some basic molecular plated dessert - which in this case, Chef Fabrice dissected a snicker bar's components and have it assembled on a plate.




First up, we have the Mont-Blanc Shot Glass, which has swiss meringue on bottom, covered with vanilla white chocolate whipping cream, topped with chestnut mousseline and pear milk chocolate jelly.

I liked this so much because of the sweet, creamy chestnut. =D 




Next, we have the cream cheese & raspberry jam shot glass; which has layers of light almond pistachio biscuit, with red fruits compote and topped with creamy au fromage blanc.

Chef decorated it with hues of red, from the raspberries and the rose' petals, making it oh so romantic! 




Then, there's the chocolate shot glass, which is made with chocolate flourless biscuit, feuilletine, topped with two types of mousse - the cocoa bean mousse and light dark chocolate mousse, and topped with a layer of chocolate jelly.

The translucent looking decor is made with cocoa nibs, which is baked on glucose in the oven. It's really pretty, but super sweet and bitter. 




Then, we have the apricot panacotta shot glass to round up the demonstration for shot glasses. There is the apricot compote, jelly, creamy dark chocolate and filled with panna cotta mixture. Chef decorated his with mini macarons and gold, just to give it a little shine.

After this demonstration, I have new respect for chefs doing the desserts at buffet tables. =D

Here's a look at my chocolate + Panna cotta shot glasses! We were able to decorate however we like to. 



 


The peach slices was torched with a blow torch to give it a little smoked edge.




Then, there's my chocolate shot glasses, which I've decorated with pink rose petals (because that's all that's left in the prep room) though I would love to have red instead, because red makes dark chocolate stand out!





Check out the different layers of the mentioned components! Pretty, isn't it? 




For the last demonstration for the week, we had the molecular plated dessert done by Chef Fabrice!




The demonstration was pretty dry, my interest was fading quite rapidly, because most of the works has to be prepared in advance, and most of the components was created using Nitrogen.

However, molecular cuisine is quite interesting if you love science and physics.




Here's a closer look at my plated dessert! 




As the shape of the plate is different from Chef's, I plated the dessert to suit the plate and not have too much of an empty part of the plate showing - something which I've learned from one of my dessert books.




Closer view - there's the white powder; which is milk powder, the brown powder is the praline powder, then there's the peanut caramel balls, chocolate Gianduja (I can't remember which was this).

The 3 drops on the plate is actually a sweet caramelized milk sauce. 




The melted weird looking thing is chocolate foam dipped in Nitrogen, instantly freezing it and giving the frozen look. The dark coil thing is strips of chocolate jelly, which we called it chocolate flexible.




The dark flat pieces is actually a type of dark chocolate meringue, dried in a dehydrated machine till it's super crispy for about 24 hours. Then, beneath it, are cubes of chocolate biscuit. On the right hand side, we have the caramelized white chocolate sorbet.

Does it taste anything like Snickers? I would say, "No.".

However, like what Gordon Ramsey always says on MasterChef, "It's a bloody good effort!".

Then, on Saturday, we went for dinner at Long Table to celebrate Wei Chuan a.k.a Panda's birthday! 




I *ahhem* specially bought entirely new outfit for the dinner - because it's smart casual,and the initially planned clothing was not suitable, in fact, what's left of my 3 months worth of clothing is only T-shirts and jeans and one pink shift dress from Topshop; which is way too formal.

HAHA!

On the bright side though, I super love the prints!




A shot with Charmaine - the only person I can speak Singlish to, in school. HAHAHA!




Another shot with Charmaine and Way; who has completed his wine course and all! Pretty impressive! He's a pretty nice guy and certainly does not look like his age!! (Hint: a year younger than as Ben!

The ambience at Long Table was nice, but that's about it. There's fixed menu for food, but I didn't like the food at all, it wasn't impressive, and definitely not worth the $2200 I was paying for. But hey! The company more or less made up for it!




With Panda, the birthday boy! 




A group shot after the meal - a mixture of pastry and cuisine students! Chef Marc and Chef Willy came as well, but I didn't managed to take any photos with them. Went straight home because I was dead beat!

Next up, I have a post coming up on Chocolate bon bon, my chocolate character, my first Chocolate showpiece (which was a disaster!) and more on my exam theme!

Stay tuned!! =D


No comments:

Post a Comment