Pages

Sunday 8 December 2013

Baking - Minions and Chocolate showpiece

Aloha!!

I'm here to update the demonstration carried out on 18 - 21 Nov..I know I've lag behind by almost 2 months! Give me time to upload my photos, gather my thoughts before I update my blog. Thank you!! 

These few weeks has been so much of a whirlwind ride!

I've been spending like 3 practicals = 9 hours to complete one chocolate character and a chocolate showpiece.

Believe me, even with all that time given...it just wasn't enough.




Here is the disassembled parts of this cute little minion with the mustache and mohawk hairstyle. The clothing and all are made out of plastic chocolate, which is something like fondant, but is stickier and can be set using cold spray.




Then, the body of the minion is made out of yellow coloured white chocolate in a huge egg-shaped chocolate mold. White chocolate is always trickier as compared to dark chocolate to work with, because it sets really, really fast. Plus, humidity sets in rapidly too, so we have to work really, really fast.




Chef also made a wonderful blossoming rose out of plastic rose, using the flexible knife to fraiser the ends instead of using our palms. It looks so real as compared to using marzipan. I wish I can do that one day!




Here, we have the lovely chocolate minions done by Chef and his assistant. Greedy little minion holding a mini banana! How cute!  




An old man version next to a rock & roll minion.

Alright, enough of the minions done up by Chef and his assistants! I'm pleased to present to you, our SP (B) family shot!!
 



It was one of those classes where we had so much fun! Or rather, I had so much fun! And seriously, look at everybody!!! There's a surfer, a tai-tai version wearing pearls and earrings...Mew's harry potter, a baker carrying a baguette, Charmaine's "itching to get beaten" face...

And then, there's mine!!!




Looking all so excited to devour that piece of chocolate cake with whipped cream and cherry! I spent too much time trying to roll out the attire for my minion, and Mew helped me with the shoes. HAHA! Thanks Mew!!




They see me rolling, they hating!!

Next up! It's the demo on Chocolate showpiece - for our term this time, we had to do a chocolate box, with some exotic decoration on the top.

Chef Fabrice did this lovely chocolate box with a nice piped heartshaped cover.





The above chocolate box is the one we have to do...complete with a curved lid, odd egg shape centerpiece with some white chocolate 'straws' and white chocolate eggs which is coloured with green, red, yellow cocoa butter.

Here, we learned the recipe and technique of creating our own silicon mould using gelatin, with which, we used to create the indent found in the egg. 




I liked this the best, with the white chocolate corals, stars and some cut out fish shape...it's like a 3D chocolate aquarium. =D




Then, during the second demo for the week, Chef Fabrice showed us the different ways of creating flowers using different techniques. A fish knife, by spreading on the chocolate sheet and cutting into long triangles after that...etc...




Here's a closer look at the different type of flowers, the left side is done using the method of cutting long triangles, and on the right hand side, the petals is created using the flexible fish knife.

Moving on, here's a look at my dreaded piece of work!




There's so many things I could have done better! Like, the lid - I didn't managed to 'cut' the chocolate mold in time because it set too fast, and hence my lid didn't have the lovely curved texture. Plus, there wasn't enough time for me to complete the things we have to do...I even had to borrow the 'straws' from Tip, who was piping extras but because I felt extremely imposing on her, I didn't take much to cover the base of the egg structure. =(




We also did some of the white coloured chocolate mini eggs, but somehow, the class didn't have enough, so we ended up sharing the halves.




And the flower...oh my god. I've never had any issues with my chocolate flowers, but I screwed up big time during my chocolate showpiece (of all times!!)!! I chose to make the petals using the fish knife method, and when I started to assemble my flower, I realised that I have made all of my petals sideways, and none of them was straight, resulting in a flower that had 'wrap' petals, creating the look of a close flower instead of a blooming flower.

Which is, of course, a big no no! *le sigh!*




Last but not least, the egg!!! Dunno why there is this horrible after mark on the surface, which, most of our eggs has it, perhaps it will be better if we had a chance to air spray coloring over the chocolate. But at least this was my only saving grace! The egg hold up, was of the same size and the exterior looked alright - according to Chef Willy, that is! HAHA!

Oh well! After this whole entire eggy fiasco, I can finally move on and do something else - Sugar that is!!

Till then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment