Pages

Wednesday 15 May 2013

A visit from Chanel.

So, Chanel has been planning back in April that she would make a visit to Bangkok, just to spend a weekend visiting me.We talked about this impending trip and counting down to seeing each other, and missing the good old times we have back in Singapore, hanging out.

As with every visit (even back in Singapore) after her flights, she'll always bring something - a chocolate or two as gifts for me! This time was no different!




She got me the Milo Packets which I've blogged about, the veets showering hair removal cream (Oh yes, my hair removal episode is never ending; it's so hard to find these here!!), Tokyo Banana & ViVi Magazine, Cats Apron from Japan, a super duper cute hand moisturiser with a touchlight (See Piggy) and a gigantic huge sized Craftholic! *touched and cries tears of joy!*

Too bad I can't use my apron in class, otherwise it will be so adorable! On the other hand, I don't think I want to dirty the apron with heavy load of chocolate and batter. HAHA!

This time, she also brought along a little surprise from my dear old friend, Clementia aka Clemmy, who happens to hold the title of "National Archives to E3 peeps' photos"!




Thank you so much, my dear friend! This is now sitting prettily on my bedside table, and reminds me of all the laughter and joy my friends have shared with me. I'll definitely be back to bake more for you all!

On the day she touched down, we had a quick bite at the airport before proceeding home, she rested for the afternoon while I head to school for class! Bought dinner back home and we enjoyed the eclairs I baked the morning after as breakfast!




I think my eclairs became that much more appetising with Chanel posing with alongside it. HAHA!

We spent the next day (Saturday) shopping at Chatuchak Market, also known as JJ Market for cheap thrills and buys - bought a few T-shirts and some aromatherapy items to freshen up my room!




But the weather was so hot, we left by early evening and headed to Ashok BTS Station to walk at the Terminal 21 Shopping Mall. The toilets in the mall is created with different themes and we had fun taking pictures at every different floors with polaroids.

The next day, we went to Central Plaza at Phahon Yothin MRT Station to shop a little and have desserts at the After You Desserts Cafe, this time, we waited close to 1.5hours for a table (Crazy us!) and ordered the Cookie Choux, Banana Crumble and Mille Crepe.




Chanel with the lovely Cookie Choux, this time round though, I felt that the choux was smaller than the previous time I had with my Sis. But nonetheless, it was yummy with all the chocolate sauce and flavored ice cream. 




I get to taste the Banana Crumble this time! Chanel find that it's too sweet, while I think the banana slices was too little, it's only about 4-5 pieces in that crumble. Kinda miserable.




This was the highlight of that 1.5hours wait! Mille Crepe; whipped cream spread between layers of thin crepes, drizzled with maple sauce. It's light and fluffy and with every bite, you just want more. I had mille crepes at more than 4 different cafes, and this is the best.

The next day before Chanel flies back to Singapore, we made plans to visit the Jim Thompson House & Museum.




We went to National Stadium BTS Station after doing a transfer at the Siam Station and exited on the Exit 1, walked towards the left hand side and down a short distance before reaching the Soi Kasemsan 2. But before that, Chanel and myself walked too far down and had to used the GPS to track down the road, the address written was actually "6 Soi Kasemsan 2, Rama 1 Road, Bangkok" on the Lonely Planet, so we had walked in vain to find the "6 Soi".

In the end, it started pouring and we took a taxi down the lane to reach Jim Thompson House.

Mr Jim Thompson is an American who was born in Greenville, Delaware in 1906 and was sent to Asia during the World War II when he volunteered for the U.S. Army. He fell in love with Thailand and came back to live here permanently. During his life here, he helped revive the craft of hand weaving silk and contributed substantially to the Thai Silk's industrial growth, as well as responsible for introducing Thai silk to the world. 




The entire estate was combined using six teak buildings, and was at least two centuries old. Jim Thompson had followed the customs of the early builders in most respects in order to retain the authenticity of the best of Thai Traditional architecture. His house was full of broken buddha statues and restored old paintings of a buddha's life which was given to him by the monks. Jim Thompson had an impressive collection of arts which came from Burmese, Ayudhya, China, Italy and even Belgium.

But sadly, at the age of 61, he disappeared during a trip to Cameron Highlands in Malaysia. This house was then willed to his nephew, who had since then established the Jim Thompson Foundation and turned his beautiful Thai house into a nice museum.




We paid 50baht each for the compulsory 15-20 minutes English tour around the house, photos are not allowed on the upper deck of the house, which you will get to see the statues, the living room, dining room, previous pantry, his bedroom and guests rooms. The whole house is located near the river, where there's boat taxis passing by, and you can hear the sound. The place is relatively well taken care of, and you can't help but feel that it is a beautiful, lovely house and that there's a sense of calm throughout.

There's also a restaurant and a gift shop at the front of the house, having been converted from the house servant's area. Chanel got herself a nice little something from the shop, while I managed to resist getting another bag. It was big and gorgeous, but I certainly had no reason for it.

Through this visit, I realised I liked visiting museums and learning more the different things around here, or anywhere for that matter. There are people out there who deemed certain areas or things that are important, and worth preserving for. It is just up to us to visit and discover and find out for ourself whether we agree with their opinion or not.

With that, till the next museum I'll conquer! =)

P.S.
Thank you, Chanel for dropping by and making my weekend that little more fun!
I hope to see you real soon, and that your injury healed well.
Hugs and kisses!! =)

Jim Thompson House & Museum
6 Soi Kasemsan 2, Rama 1 Road, Bangkok
Tel: 02-216-7368
www.jimthompsonhouse.com
Open every day 9.00am - 5.00pm
(Exit at National Stadium, Exit (1), facing the road, walk to the right hand side and down all the way till the lane "Soi Kasemsan 2", turn into the small street or hitch a ride on the Jim Thompson Golf buggy. )

No comments:

Post a Comment