Pages

Monday 20 May 2013

Chinatown & Tuktuks.

Almost every weekend, my friends and I would try to make plans - besides doing laundry, to explore Bangkok and venture out of our comfy apartments.

Last Saturday, was no different.

Sonya and myself decided to visit one of the bakery store as recommended by the school, in order to purchase a few baking necessities like piping bags, palette knifes and what not.

It was somewhere in Chinatown, right opposite the India Emporium at a shop named KAJORNSAK KITCHENMATE. We took the train right to Hua Lamphong and then hitched a cab ride down to the India Emporium.




The baking store was slightly smaller and less spacious as compared to the Phoon Huat Baking Store back home, in Singapore. Everything was crammed and fully packed from the bottom to the top of the shelf with baking tins, packaging, tips and what not. I didn't managed to take photos because, it was kinda dusty and I was very much focused on getting some piping bags and a small palette knife for spreading.

Above is just a random picture I took in Chinatown while in the cab.

For some reason, gold prices was quite low (at $18k baht per 15g) that day and we saw most of the goldsmith shops filled with shoppers and it was as though they were at the market buying fish and vegetables!

I missed my mum at that very instance, because she is often part of that 'vegetable gold buying crowd' when she's back in Korat. HAHA!




Sonya and myself walked a little distance to get to the Chinatown, where we wanted to try out this particular restaurant called the "T&K Seafood", which is a crowded two or three story seafood place. It was overcrowded with tourists by the time we got there at late evening.

We had wasted no time at all, and had ordered a feast fit for queens, I would say! 




There's crabmeat fried rice, steamed mussels in basil leaves, delicious with the seafood lime sauce provided by the restaurant.




Then, there's the small sized bowl of shark's fin soup - I used to be against shark fins because of some clips I've seen, but I'm sorry to say that I cannot resist shark fin here. I think my stand is not firm enough, but so be it. There, I retract my stand against not consuming shark fins. I'm not afraid to say that I *love* it! Especially with the pepper and vinegar, it's a piping hot broth, and I enjoyed it with every mouthful.

Moving on, we also ordered the fish in lime dressing sauce. I think it is either a sea bass or a snapper. I'm not very good at identifying fishes, but it was so good, I drank the sauce like it was a soup.

We also had the BBQ squid which I've not gotten a picture of, and ordered a bowl of cold bird's nest to share for dessert.

It was a great meal, and costs about $1300baht, which is a reasonable price as well, I would say! 




Took the tuktuk back to the MRT Station because it was too far to walk back. I think this was a newer tuktuk model, it's much more spacious than I can remember!




There, a shot of us, both - Sonya is a great partner in exploring new eateries together, and she is superb with using Google! She found us this restaurant to dine at, me? I'm just game with anything that involves eating and exploring. HAHA!

One thing which I actually feel bad about when I'm out with my friends - I walk too fast.

There's something Singaporean about that; we walked too fast, and many a times, by the time I realized that, I'm a good street away from my friends. I'll try my best to consciously slow down a little, because I'm not rushing to anywhere, it's just a pace I've been too used to.

That's all I've got to share for now, till then!

=)

T & K Seafood
49-51 Soi Phadung Dao
Yaowarat Rd (corner Thong Suphan No.453)
Bangkok 10100,
Open from 4:30pm to 2am
Tel. 01 507 5555

No comments:

Post a Comment